Sunday, January 18, 2015

I'M BACK! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

After almost a month, I am happy to be back to blogging - phew, what a stressful, busy lead-up to the festive season we had in 2014.  My family and I, along with friends, had a great time away, spending a week in New York, and a week in Honolulu, so feel recharged and ready to take on 2015!

My blog post today is a bit photo-heavy, but I hope you'll enjoy a snapshot of some of my favourite moments from our time in the US.  The weather in New York was really mild - no snow, so we saw the city with fresh eyes, despite having been before (always in winter!).  Because the weather was mild, there were about 149 million people in Manhattan ..... well, that may be a slight exaggeration, but the crowds were really tiresome.  We could only shuffle, shoulder-to-shoulder, in and around Times Square - but enjoyed lots of time walking through quieter parts of Manhattan.

The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is a huge attraction during the festive season, but this year I was unable to get close enough to capture it in all its glory.  Here's a bit-far-away pic of the Rockefeller Center lights:



One of the highlights of our time in New York was being able to walk the High Line (a 'green' strip, that wasn't very green, but still park-like, created in recent years above street level along a disused railway line):



Because we don't have them in Australia, I am always delighted to be able to take photos of squirrels!  This one looked beautifully chubby and healthy.




This next photo is a very different perspective on Central Park, to what we're used to.  We've only ever seen it deep in snow, so I enjoyed this view:



Another highlight of our time in New York, was a horse and carriage ride around part of Central Park.  Here is Isabella, the beautiful horse who took us on the ride:



Finally, for New York, a pic of "the kids" (ranging in age from 14 to 19), wearing flashing "2015" glasses on New Year's Eve in our hotel room in Times Square. 




After a very busy week in New York (we walked around 15kms per day, and were on the go from morning to night), we enjoyed a relaxing week in Honolulu.  My favourite place was Macy's (department store - wish we had them in Australia!!), but Waikiki itself is rather pretty.

Here's a pic of a couple of trolley buses on Kalakau'a Avenue, Waikiki:



.... and a peaceful spot near our hotel, looking back along Waikiki Beach:




So, that's what I have been up to over Christmas/New Year.  I have ordered lots of new Stampin' Up! goodies, and am looking forward to sharing some creations with you soon.

I have made a couple of cards, so make sure you check back tomorrow, for what you probably normally visit my blog for!


3 comments:

  1. Welcome home, lovely. Thanks for sharing your fab photos. Looks like places I would love too.
    Hugs, D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, Welcome back, it looks like you had a great time away, nice pictures, and happy new year to you and your family. Cheers Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see your photos. Glad you enjoyed your time away.

    ReplyDelete